Friday 1 October 2010

Do Birds Sunbathe?

On a hot sunny day when I have been in the garden feeding wild birds, I have often seen birds just laying on the lawn with their wings stretched out.

The first time I saw a bird laying out on the lawn, I thought it was dead. But then I saw it move.

Below is an article that explains why birds sunbathe.

Bird sunning is a relatively common behavior, but the exact reasons why birds sunbathe vary. It can help get rid of feather parasites, regulate body temperature or dry off after a bath. Some birds even seem to sunbathe just because they enjoy it! Bluebirds, titmice, doves and other species regularly sunbathe, and birders can help the birds stay safe while sunning by keeping cats indoors and providing a good location for sunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment