Sunday 26 September 2010

Starlings: Feathers and moulting

I love feeding wild birds in my garden, we have a great variety of different species and one of my favourites are the Starlings.  

We have a family of Starlings that come to the garden to feed and their antics are very amusing as they strut around and squabble amongst themselves over the food. But I have often wondered why they all look so different from each other.  I guessed it was because some of them were youngsters and others adult birds.

I come across this interesting article that explains all about why the Starlings can sometimes look so different from each other:  

Young starling moulting from juvenile to adult winter plumage

Female starling in spring breeding plumage

When young starlings leave the nest, they're brown all over.

You've probably seen them chasing and pestering their hard-pressed parents, and heard them squawking for food.

Because starlings sometimes have two broods in one breeding season, you'll see starlings of different ages and varying appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment